Confession number one: I’m a junk food junkie.
I admit it… freely, but not so willingly. To be perfectly honest, it’s one thing that I’m actually rather embarrassed about. I’ve been interested in food and nutrition for quite some time, but since going gluten free almost two years ago I’ve been even more interested in nutrition and the ways food interact with the body. Interesting stuff…
It all really started when a good friend introduced me to Dr. D’Adamo’s Blood Type Diet. She and I had several of the same health issues, and we have the same blood type. Her doctor recommended that she look into Dr. D’Adamo’s research, and it did wonders for her. So, being a fabulous friend (you are, darling, and I appreciate your friendship!!), she suggested I look into it and give it a try. The science sort of made sense; your body chemistry makes up who you are. Chemistry is chemistry, right? I mean… it wasn’t my BEST subject in school, but it wasn’t my WORST. It made sense that your body chemistry would determine how your body reacts to food, right? So, I gave it a try. I started feeling pretty good. My Aunty and Uncle (whom I was staying with at the time) were quite supportive of my shift in diet. Other than some good natured ribbing (mostly from my incredibly droll uncle) my experiment was going quite successfully. However, as I mentioned in the very beginning of this post, I’m a junk food junkie. So certain things started creeping back into my diet. A donut here, a Guinness there, nothing major. For the most part, I was still pretty good. My body wasn’t overly excited about it though. I started feeling blah again. Several of the symptoms I had gotten rid of were back… with a vengeance.
So, I started paying closer attention to my indulgences. What caused the worst reaction? As it turned out, any sort of bakery product had me doubling over in pain and wanting to die. My friend Guinness? He wasn’t so fabulous to me anymore. So, I started looking into the meaning of that, and came across a list of Celiac symptoms. Lo and behold, I had MOST of the symptoms on the list. In fact, I’d been dealing with the majority of those issues since… well… most of my life! I took the list to my doctor at the time. She agreed with me, but told me there wasn’t a conclusive Celiac test, and that my insurance wouldn’t cover what testing there was. Bummer. As there’s no “cure” for Celiac, and the treatment for those with Celiac was the same for anyone on the gluten intolerance spectrum, she suggested I just go gluten free without the test. Standing where I’m at now, I do wish I had gone through with the testing anyway, however hindsight is 20/20.
So how does this all tie together? I’ve been doing a lot of research lately into the Primal/Paleo diet and lifestyle. Considering most grains make me sick, it makes the most sense for me to go this route. The more I read about it, the more I like the whole concept. However, where the concept is GRASPED, the execution is a little elusive (yes, I just paraphrased a line from The Princess Diaries… sue me). There are currently Glutino bagels in my freezer because I just HAD to have a bagel the other day. I have a bad day, and I make a beeline for the chip aisle. I have a hamburger (or chicken or pork chops or lamb or…) and I want mashed potatoes. THAT is the hardest part for me. I. LOVE. MASHED. POTATOES. Mashed potatoes are the world’s most perfect food. They are my comfort food. They are the one thing I love more than anything else. *sigh*
I’d like to say I live by the 80/20 rule. Something that I DO believe is a fabulous idea. It goes a little something like this: If you’re good with your diet 80% of the time, don’t sweat the other 20%. The problem is, I’m not sure 80% of my diet is good right now. I LOVE to cook, but cooking for just myself rather sucks! I like to turn on the blues station and just lose myself in the food; the textures, the scents, the spices. It’s very relaxing. The problem is making myself DO that when I know I can run up to the farmer’s market and buy a GF frozen pizza. When I do that, not only do I not feel better because I didn’t work out my frustrations cooking, but I feel guilty for having indulged!!! And if I order Dominos? Oh yeah. The guilt is palpable. (Note: Dominos has a delicious gluten free pizza crust, and I haven’t had a reaction to it… yet. So cross contamination hasn’t been an issue for me with them).
So there you have it. I’m a junk food junkie. Now, if you’ll excuse me, there’s a bagel and some cream cheese in my kitchen calling my name. Don’t judge…